Caramel Apple Strata
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old cinnamon bread
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar and pie spice. Arrange half of the bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with apples; drizzle with half of the caramel sauce. Sprinkle with pecans; top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining caramel sauce.
- Remove strata from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- In a microwave, heat the reserved sauce. Drizzle warm sauce over strata.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 462 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 198mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 24, 2016
Jul 2, 2015
This is SO good, you just want to want to keep eating, BUT it's SO rich that that would not be a good idea!
Jun 6, 2015
Loved this! Note to self, keep the extra caramel sauce in the sauce pan when I refrigerate it. I do not have a microwave, and I put the sauce in a Tupperware. It was hard as a rock and I couldn't get it out of the container to warm it up! Lol! Didn't think about that! The extra drizzle wasn't missed though.....this is yummy!!!!
Oct 19, 2014
If they had been available, I would have given it more stars. It was a big hit with my family and co-workers.
Oct 16, 2014
How can you go wrong with cinnamon, apple, nuts and caramel? This was very good. I like that it can be made the night before, making it a perfect autumn dessert when company is coming for dinner.
Sep 29, 2014
I put it all in the crockpot on low for 2 1/2 hours and served it like a bread pudding. I left out the nuts due to a family member with allergies.
Feb 23, 2014
Very good flavor but a little too sweet. Next time I will cut the sugar and trim the bread crust.
Dec 26, 2013
I made this for breakfast today. It was delicious. I used one cup of maple syrup and one cup of brown sugar. I didn't peel the apples, used galas. Everyone loved it. A keeper recipe. Janet
Nov 15, 2013
I prepped this for the Taste of Home Cooking School at Turning Stone Casino yesterday. It smelled amazing! It was fairly simple to make. The most "work" is peeling and chopping the apples. You can never go wrong with apples and caramel :)
Nov 11, 2013
We all loved this. It was a featured recipe in the TOH Cooking School I attended last week, and I knew I had to make it right away with the Asian pears we had picked last weekend and my husband's homemade cinnamon bread. I bet it is fantastic with apples also, but with pears it is to die for. Love it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.