- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
- Place rice in a blender; cover and process 2-3 minutes or until very fine. Transfer to a large bowl; add almonds, cinnamon stick, lime peel and hot water. Let stand, covered, at room temperature 8 hours.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer rice mixture to a blender; cover and process 3-4 minutes or until smooth. Add sugar; process until sugar is dissolved.
- Place a strainer over a pitcher; line with double-layered cheesecloth. Pour rice mixture over cheesecloth; using a ladle, press mixture through strainer.
- Stir in cold water. Serve over ice. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with lime wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Horchata in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p351
Reviews for Horchata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 12, 2016
"I love how authentic this recipe is. A lot of the horchata recipes call for milk but this one has it right."
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2014
"I love Horchata! I used it over my cereal, but I left out the lime."