My Italian mother remembers her mother making these dumplings for special occasions. She still has the bowl Grandma mixed the dough in, which will be passed down to me some day. —Tina Repak of Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts water
- Spaghetti sauce, warmed
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash.
- Place 2 cups mashed potatoes in a large bowl (save any remaining mashed potatoes for another use). Stir in egg and 1 teaspoon salt. Gradually beat in flour until blended (dough will be firm and elastic).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 15 times. Roll into 1/2-in.-wide ropes. Cut ropes into 1-in. pieces. Press down with a lightly floured fork.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and remaining salt to a boil. Add gnocchi in small batches; cook for 8-10 minutes or until gnocchi float to the top and are cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon. Serve immediately with spaghetti sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Potato Gnocchi in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p41
Reviews for Homemade Potato Gnocchi
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review