- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse four 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine tomato sauce and paste. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers. Freeze up to 12 months. Thaw frozen sauce in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 4 cups.
Reviews forHomemade Pizza Sauce
"This is one of the best pizza sauces I've ever tasted! The creativity of this recipe inspired me to take that creative spark to another level. As I was spreading this sauce over my pizza dough, a thought occurred to me. Why stop here? What else can I use this sauce for? Well, I know what the reader is already thinking. "Use it for other Italian cuisine, right?" Wrong. I pondered how I could apply this amazing sauce in unorthodox ways and on things you normally don't associate with pizza sauce. My garage door squeaks when it opens and closes. Sure, I could use a can of lube I bought from Home Depot, or I could lather on some of this extra sauce. Sounds crazy right? Sometimes crazy IS right, and after a few spatulas of this sauce onto the hinges, I see my jealous neighbors glare at me when my mini-van approaches a silent garage door opening."
"...always loved the inclusion of a tiny taste of licorice as a slight background note to a pasta/pizza sauce. although I use anise seed instead of fennel seed, they both provide a terrific flavor-good job"
"I make this regularly. The first time I didn't have any fennel so I made it without and we didn't miss it so I never use it. I like it best with a little sausage in it or some Parmesan cheese in it. Very yummy!"
"This an excellent recipe, I love it with the Fennel. I also like that it didn't have sugar in it."
"Good! Will make again, added some basill (didnt have any fennel)"
"I absolutely love this recipe! I agree with some of the other reviewers, the fennel is what really makes the sauce great :) My only modifications are the use of fresh onion and garlic."
"Absolutely loved this pizza sauce!!!!! So easy to make and it taste amazing! Will never have pizza any other way now!!!!"
"This is a great sauce..I also added fresh basil from garden and a little sugar. I will make it again and freeze for winter."
"Haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will. I throw carrots in any tomato sauces I make, then take them out before serving/storing...they absorb the acid!"
"Great recipe. Very similar to the one I normally make. http://goo.gl/O9r2EW. I find it a bit quicker. Thanks for sharing.."