Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 pizzas (3 servings each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oil and salt. Stir in flour, a cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 2-3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Press each into a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Combine the tomato sauce, oregano and basil; spread over each crust. Top with beef mixture, green pepper and cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 537 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Sep 15, 2019
Made this last night with my husband and kiddos. Very easy recipe and came out soooo good! Will definitely be making this again.
Apr 13, 2018
First time making pizza so I was initially nervous but it turned out awesome. It's quick and easy to make. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
Mar 17, 2018
I've only used the crust portion of this recipe and it's mmm mmm good. First and only homemade crust I've made, it's a keeper!
Mar 1, 2018
I decided to bake a pizza with this recipe and came out, this is so delicious!
Aug 5, 2016
First time I made pizza dough. Turned out Perfect!
Oct 31, 2015
I have been making pizza my whole life and my recipe was very good. Eveyone loved my dough but I wanted to try something different. I made this dough and found it to be the best I have ever made. It was light and yet crispy, this was the best dough I have ever tasted...delicious!!
Aug 25, 2015
Never made dough all my life let alone pizza. This evening i just decide to try this recipe and my oh my! it is super delicious!!! Thanks a lot taste of home
Jun 25, 2015
I used this recipe just for the crust. Just made it today and the crust is going to be my new "go to" pizza crust recipe. I really liked the crispness on the bottom of the crust and bread-like top part of the crust. I made it in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I did use instant yeast, as that is all I ever use. I had to add extra flour to make the dough "stiff" enough so that I could handle it to make the ball. I used my old black cookie sheet that is well seasoned with age to bake the pizza on. I always bake my pizza on this cookie sheet. I was able to spread the dough with my hands so that saved getting out the rolling pin. After the dough was spread on the cookie sheet, I finished the pizza to my liking. I make my our salsa in the fall, cooking it down so it is thick, then I can it. That is what I use for my pizza sauce. Great crust---will make again!!
Nov 19, 2014
I had never made pizza dough before until i tried this . My husband and daughter loved it!!! I invited friends over and made it for them and now they want me to make it all the time..they loved it too! This will definitely be a permanent recipe I stick with :-)
Apr 18, 2014
i thought the crust was good however my husband (gah!) liked the store-bought crust better. What is wrong with him??? I had leftover dough so I am trying it out with cinnamon rolls. They are rising now and then into the oven. Fingers crossed.