Perfect for the summer grilling season, this flavorful and hearty Italian sausage sandwich will be a picnic favorite for sure! —Mariela Petroski, Helena, Montana
- 6 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 bottle (14.9 ounces) dark beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 cups julienned green peppers
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 brat buns, split
- 6 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Place sausages in a large saucepan; add beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Drain and discard beer. Grill sausages, covered, over direct medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with green pepper mixture and cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious July/August 2009, p54
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Homemade Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review