I served this potpie along with chili on Super Bowl Sunday. No one ate the chili. In fact, one of my husband's single friends called the next day and asked for the leftover pie.—Darlene Claxton, Brighton, Michigan
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2-1/2 cups halved baby carrots
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until crumbly. Stir in cheese. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, cook carrots and celery in a small amount of water until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the carrot mixture, chicken, onions, peas, chives, parsley and thyme; heat through. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit top of dish; cut out vents. Place dough over filling; trim and flute edges. Brush with egg. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Home-Style Chicken Potpie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p176
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Home-Style Chicken Potpie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review