Here in the middle of cattle country, our days always seem to be busy. This dish is true to its name—it's filling and keeps us going all morning. We also like to serve it to guests to give them a taste of true country cooking.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup cheese, spinach and mushrooms. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, beat eggs. Add cream and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Egg Casserole in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p16
Reviews for Hearty Egg Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review