Ham and Corn Chowder Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups whole milk, divided
- 4 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn, divided
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan. Saute the onion, celery and green pepper in drippings for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup milk and 2 cups corn in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Pour into saucepan. Add ham and remaining corn; simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the butter, parsley, salt, pepper, pepper sauce if desired and remaining milk; heat through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Ham and Corn Chowder(18)
Sort By :
The only change I made was to replace the green pepper with diced carrot. The recipe was okay, but we didn't think it was anything special. We prefer the recipe for Creamy Corn Chowder http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-corn-chowder.
The first time I made this I made it on the stove top. Tonight I put it in my crockpot. Still so yummy. I cooked the bacon and added the drippings to the crockpot. I put everything but the milk in (I even put the bacon in) and let is go for almost 4 hours. I then added the milk and let it go for about another hour. Turned out great. Looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow!
Excellent soup recipe! Fast and easy to make. I omitted the green pepper & we thought this was delicious! The bacon gives it a really nice flavor. This is definitely going into my recipe box!
Followed as written except used half whole milk and half skim. Used the butter and flour to make a roux to thicken it a little. I was able to fill 3 quart jars to freeze because there are only two of us but we both really liked it a lot. We gave it a 10 and will enjoy it again. I plan to can some for future meals. Good job and thanks for sharing.