- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 6 thin slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Top each piece with a slice of ham and cheese. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Roll chicken in flour mixture; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in oil on all sides; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soup and wine or broth; pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is longer pink. Remove roll-ups and stir sauce. Discard toothpicks. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken roll-up and sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or milk if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Ham & Swiss Chicken Roll-Ups
"garyzee, No where does the recipe say it's Saltimbocca. It's called HAM & SWISS chicken ROLL UPS!!!!! Why are you people so critical of these recipes??? I've made similar dishes like this and whatever the name, the recipe is delicious. You want to lighten it up or use less salt, then do it, but why criticize everything?"
"Made it the first time with some ham I had in the 'fridge....it was a honey roasted ham. I liked the recipe so much (no thanks to this ham) That I made it again, changing nothing but the ham to a fresh black forest from the Deli and wow amazing how just changing the ham made such a difference. Very nice thank you for sharing your recipe"
"This was very good I felt the flavor was a little bland so I added some fresh herbs. I added chopped sage thyme and rosemary. My guests loved it. ,!,"
"I have made this many times in the past. My husband and I both love it. Only change I make is I use provolone cheese instead of swiss since I don't like swiss."
"<p>Whoever the chef is for this recipe should know better-it is not Saltimbocca unless there is sage with a white wine reduction sauce. No deli ham, no swiss cheese. It should be prosciutto and provolone, definitely no parmesan cheese, no cream of chicken. The photo's chicken looks thicker than 1/4". The only thing correct about this recipe is that it is rolled.</p>"
"I am not a ham eater but in this recipe it gives it such a good taste. Make sure to pound the chicken out thin, I did not and it was a challenege to roll. I would definatly make this again."
"I made mine with white wine. If I were to make it again, I would use chicken broth instead."