Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- Additional chopped onion, optional
- In a stockpot, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the beans, tomato puree, salsa, tomatoes, broth, water, seasonings and, if desired, browning sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chili reaches desired thickness. Garnish with chopped onion if desired. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Ground Beef Chili
Sort By :
"My family's favorite. I leave out the celery though."
"This was one of the best chili's that I have ever made. I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but it was soooo good.My variation was that I used 2 cups of No Salt Added Beef stock and I didn't use water. I also didn't use any Steak Sauce as I didn't have any, but it is so flavourful it didn't matter :D I only had one can of kidney beans, so I used black beans as well.Thanks for the recipe!"
"I like the fact that it only takes 30 minutes to cook. You can use the basic recipe and pretty much throw in whatever you have and it still turns out great."
"This has been my only red chili ever since it came out in the magazine 13 years ago. Everyone loves it and requests the recipe. The only thing I change (besides leaving out the optional browning sauce) is that instead of condensed broth + water, I just use 2 cups of beef stock. I started doing this to avoid MSG, and it didn't seem to change the taste. I have four kids, and this makes a LOT. It freezes well, so I always get a second meal out of it later."
"Love this Chili just as it is. Serve it with some corn bread and add a little shredded cheddar on top. Yum."