- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) gooseberries, drained
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in the butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until easy to handle.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Gently stir in gooseberries; let stand for 15 minutes. Divide dough in half. Roll out each portion to an 8-in. square. Place one portion in the bottom a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with filling and remaining pastry.
- Cut slits in pastry; brush with milk. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Gooseberry Dessert in Country June/July 2008, p51
Reviews for Gooseberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review