Goat Cheese & Onion Pastries Recipe
A flaky, puff pastry crust holds sweet caramelized onions and creamy goat cheese for an easyyet upscalerecipe that's a "must" on all of our entertaining menus.Heidi Ellis, Monument, Colorado
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, cut into 12 slices
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. Add the onions, shallots and sugar to the pan; cook and stir over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the thyme, garlic and pepper. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Stir in bacon; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Cut into three 9-in. x 3-in. rectangles. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking pan. Brush dough with egg white; top with onion mixture and goat cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each rectangle into four appetizers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Goat Cheese & Onion Pastries in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p32
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Goat Cheese & Onion Pastries(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Puff Pastry Appetizer >
- Christmas Appetizers >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Meat Appetizers >
- New Year's Appetizers >
- New Year's Recipes >