Favorite Chicken Potpie Recipe
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-3/4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, corn and potato mixture; remove from heat.
- Unroll a pastry sheet into each of two 9-in. pie plates; trim even with rims. Add chicken mixture. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in tops.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 potpies (8 servings each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Favorite Chicken Potpie
Sort By :
"This recipe is fantastic! I made this as written, but for one pie. I used the breast meat from a Costco chicken and a bag of mixed vegetables to make it easier. I am going to make the filling again tomorrow and will toss it into the freezer for busy days."
"I loved this recipe! Only made one Chicken potpie and saved the rest to serve over mashed potatoes. Very tasty!"
"I made this last night and my family was wowed! It is hearty and tasty and for my large family we are always having to double recipes. This one made plenty for dinner and for lunch leftovers. It totally hits the spot when you are looking for a fall comfort food recipe.."
"This is an extremely delicious recipe !!! My husband ate an entire pie to himself in one day for breakfast lunch and dinner ! I am currently going to the market now to gather the ingredients to make more! A major hit in my household!"
"Delicious A fair amount of prep work, but the results are worth it. Thick, creamy, flavorful"