Favorite Chicken Potpie Recipe
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-3/4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, corn and potato mixture; remove from heat.
- Unroll a pastry sheet into each of two 9-in. pie plates; trim even with rims. Add chicken mixture. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in tops.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 potpies (8 servings each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Favorite Chicken Potpie
Sort By :
"Great recipe. I agree with the comments that a homemade crust would be even better. I used Pilsbury refrigerator pastry crust and it turned out pretty good. Very easy to pull together and the best part, knowing there is another pie in the freezer!"
"This pie had rave reviews from my family--everyone loved it! My only change was that the sauce got a little too thick so I added more chicken stock. Came out perfect!"
"OMG. What. A. Recipe. To-die-for delicious! I want to add a photo of my pie, but there appears to be no manner in which to do so."
"This recipe was absolutely wonderful. I rolled my own crust so it took me a little longer. My whole family loved it. Even my very picky soon-to-be-10yr old liked it and asked for more."
"This recipe was fantastic! It took me one hour including the pastry dough( I used chef Ramsey quick puff pastry recipe) . My adjustments were ...I used baby potatoes with skin ,1 can of corn, 1 cup of peas, and 1 cup of vanilla almond milk. I used an extra 1/2 cup of chicken broth to compensate for the thickness of the almond milk.I did not use thyme or carrots because they are flavors my family does not enjoy!Bon Appetite!"