- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 10 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a rectangle; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, in a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish; dot with butter.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim and flute edges. In a small bowl, whisk egg with milk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top. Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Deep-Dish Apple Pie
Sort By :
"Recipe looks great! Can't wait to try it. Love the idea of rectangle pan and single crust. I'm well over 50 and in no way want to identify with uwasv_waya. This is just one nasty B..... Maybe instead of reviewing recipes you should brush up on your spelling. After reading all the reviews do you just feel like the biggest jerk ever! Think next time sunshine!"
"Trying to go gluten free, can gluten free all purpose flour be substituted for traditional all purpose flour?"
"I had tons of apples in my fridge that I needed to get rid of, so I made this simple pie last night. We loved it! I have never made a pie before, so this recipe made it not overwhelming at all! :) I had read other reviews, saying that it wasn't sweet enough, so I used 1/3 cup white and brown sugar. I will absolutely make this again!"
"I made this pie years ago. My dad was going to his hunting cabin with his buddies and asked me to make a BIG apple pie. I used a 9x13 pan and doubled the ingredients I use for a 9" apple pie. I only use Rome Beauty apples for pies because I like them best and I did make it a double crust. I did this without a recipe because my dad asked me to. He had confidence in me to do it, so I did and it turned out awesome!"
"just took this out of the oven, the crust is fluffy. I've always had a hard time making pie crust but no more this recipe gets 5 stars."