Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup apple jelly, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, cider and jelly. Combine the sugar, flour, tapioca and salt; add to apple mixture and toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 458 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 9, 2017
This is my favorite go-to apple pie recipe when I want to be a bit more fancy than plain ol' apple pie. I get rave reviews on it. I use a 10" quiche pan to bake this in and it slices beautifully into 8 or 9 servings. (Cut the sugar to 3/4 cup if you wish and it will still be sweet enough.)
Jan 26, 2014
good but way too sweet
Nov 24, 2012
Nov 11, 2010
My husband loves this pie.He even took it to work for their potluck.I have made this pie alot.Thanks:)
Nov 26, 2009
Best apple pie recipe that I've ever used. Worth saving with your favorites.
Oct 10, 2009
This pie won me a first place award last Thanksgiving @ my church....simply delicious...and I'm not that crazy about apple pie, but I could eat this easily all by myself!!! I use a deep dish pie plate, using a double crust recipe...and it makes a beautiful pie.
Nov 15, 2008
Really, this recipe creates a large pie. You shouldn't need to do anything, but if you feel that your pie pan is larger consider increasing the amount of apples by l more cup. The rest can remain the same with little difference. Yum!
May 16, 2008
The pie plate used in this recipe looks like a Pampered Chef Deep Dish Pie Plate. What adjustments need to be made to the dough and filling recipe to fill this?