- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- DATE FILLING:
- 1 package (16 ounces) whole pitted dates
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Sift together flour and baking soda. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs; blend well. Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed. Chill for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, for filling, place dates, sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until dates are tender and most of the water has evaporated. Stir in nuts; cool.
- Divide dough into three portions. Between pieces of waxed paper, roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread 1/3 of the filling over each. Roll up from one of the long sides. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Dough may be kept in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Slice dough into 1/3-in. cookies.
- Place on greased baking sheets and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 9 dozen.
Reviews for Date/Nut Pinwheels
Sort By :
"These are fantastic. To fit my schedule, I made the date mixture and mixed up the dough one day, then assembled the next day. I still have a roll in the freezer available to pull out when I need a quick dessert. They're quite impressive looking."
"This is my family's favorite cookie at Christmas. It's always the first thing to get eaten and the first thing to disappear.These are a bit of work, but well worth it. I usually have to use around 4 1/2 C. of flour in the dough--otherwise, while baking they tend to spread into an oblong shape. If you cook the date filling too much it will be difficult to spread--add a little water back to the mixture to make it more spreadable. I have frozen the dough rolls up to a month before baking (wrapped in waxed paper, then put in a 9"x13" cake pan with lid.) Also, these cookies freeze well. I usually make them in November for Christmas. I would say these could easily be frozen up to 3 months."
"very good,everybody loves them"