Before I tried this recipe, my family did not like this particular cut of beef because it was chewy. But these cubed steaks, slow-cooked until they're nice and tender, are now one of our favorites.—Judy Long, Limestone, Tennessee
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
- 1 envelope onion gravy mix
- Hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add steaks, a few at a time, and shake until completely coated.
- In a skillet, cook steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining water. Add to slow cooker; cook 30 minutes longer. Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cubed Steaks with Gravy in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p7
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Cubed Steaks with Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review