Loaded with tangy flavor, this is a lighter version of a favorite restaurant-style sandwich. If you don’t have a panini maker, tuck the sandwiches under the broiler until the bread is browned and the cheese melted. —Robin Haas, Cranston, Rhode Island
Recommended: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 7 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 whole dill pickles, sliced
- Place onion wedges and broth in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, 5 garlic cloves, vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cumin, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; rub over pork. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and remaining garlic and lemon juice; spread over buns. Layer bun bottoms with pork, cheese, sliced onion and pickles; replace tops.
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 2-3 minutes or until buns are browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Cuban-Style Pork Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011, p31
Reviews for Cuban-Style Pork Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2014
Reviewed May. 8, 2013
Reviewed May. 7, 2012
"Nice change of pace! The sauce makes it!"
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2011
"Sooo good! Wonderful flavor!"
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2011
"Delicious!!!! These were soooo tender and juicy! YUMMY!!!"