This old-fashioned side uses lots of delicious tomatoes and seasonings that give it an Italian twist. Every time I serve it, someone asks for the recipe. —Norma Nelson, Punta Gorda, Florida
Featured In: 48 Ways to Cook Fresh, Juicy Tomatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 8 slices bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Arrange tomatoes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with bread cubes. Combine the butter, salt, basil and thyme; drizzle over bread and tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Tomato Crouton Casserole in Taste of Home June/July 1999, p44