Pizza Soup with Garlic Toast Croutons
This comforting soup satisfies our pizza cravings. It's super versatile, too, and I sometimes substitute light Italian sausage for the chicken or add a little Parmesan cheese. Go nuts and add all your favorite pizza toppings! —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, TX
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (about 4 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (3 ounces) sliced pepperoni, halved
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (11-1/4 ounces) frozen garlic Texas toast
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 6-8 hours.
- For croutons, cut Texas toast into cubes; bake according to package directions. Add spinach to soup; heat through, stirring occasionally. Top servings with cheese and warm croutons.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Prepare croutons as directed. Top soup with cheese and croutons.
Health Tip: The cheesy garlic croutons put this soup over the top, but it’s still amazing without them (and a lot leaner: just 150 calories and 6 grams of fat per serving).
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 292 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1081mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
May 13, 2017
I didn't care for this much. I was wishing I either was eating a slice of Pizza or having a nice bowl of soup. Not Pizza in my soup.
Apr 21, 2017
Easy and delicious!
Feb 26, 2017
Very flavorful and easy. We really loved the garlic toast croutons!