My three boys love this recipe and I even send it in their school lunches! I sometimes add ham for a meat option or sprinkle with chopped bacon pieces.
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash 2 cups potatoes; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in oil until tender. Whisk the flour, bouillon granules and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in mashed potatoes. Add spinach, salt, pepper and remaining potatoes; cook just until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Spinach & Potato Soup in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012, p61
Reviews for Creamy Spinach & Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review