- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) chicken gravy
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, melt 6 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, gravy and pimientos.
- Drain noodles; toss with remaining butter. Stir into chicken mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Combine cheese, bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle around edges of casserole. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Creamy Chicken Noodle Bake
"Very creamy and different. We loved it. Has a cheesy crunchy topping that is amazing. I made 1/2 the recipe and had 4 huge servings. Will be making this again."
"Delicious ! It was a hit with the family. I was also confused as to whether the cheese needed to be melted. After cooking it I realized it should have been melted first because it didn't melt completely after having in the oven for over 10 min."
"The only problem I had with the recipe is when it says combine the cheese, bread crumbs, and melted butter. Is the cheese supposed to be melted? I assumed so, even though it doesn't state that. BTW, I am an experienced cook and I was still confused."
"I made this for friends and they loved. They all recommended making it again. For me it did not have as much flavor that I prefer, so next time may add a little more chili powder or Tabasco smoky chipotle sauce. TOH Editor"
"This was soooo good. I subbed pork as that is what I had and it had fabulous flavor."
"I used a whole pre cooked chicken and it was very good Next time I will add another jar of pimientos."
"Good flavor - excellent. My family loved this dish."
"Five stars all the way! The only thing I did differently was divide the recipe in half. Will definitely make again."
"Wait, I found it at the bottom of the recipe...OOPS!! :)"
"I just made this and it is in the oven. It calls for 1/2 cup butter divided. You use the first 6 tsp for the roux (flour/butter mixture) and the remaining butter to be tossed with the cooked noodles. Then at the end with the Velveeta it calls for melted butter but how much and was that omitted from the actual recipe?? HELP!"