- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 1 cup flour. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cranberries, brown sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until cranberries are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon juice and, if desired, walnuts. Cool.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 20x10-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan, arranging in a slight zigzag fashion to fit.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in 1 tablespoon butter until crumbly. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Cover with a towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Cranberry Swirl Loaf
"I cheated and used the 'Hearty Six-Grain Mix from King Arthur Flour' and leftover roasted cranberry sauce to which I added chopped walnuts. I kept it savory by choice so skipped the glaze and topping. Inspirationally delicious! Will enjoy it with stew! Will make this again."
"I made this to take to work the other day. The loaf of bread was very heavy and I was worried it wasn't going to be good but when my coworker cut into it to try it, she absolutely loved it so I had to have a piece right away and she was right. It was so delicious. I really loved the crumb coating and glaze and it went so well with the tartness of the cranberries and the texture of the bread was very good too. I also loved it with the walnuts. The whole loaf was gone by the end of the day. I will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing!"
"I was just browsing through some old magazines tonight and came across this one. This recipe is fantastic. The bread is so tender and the filling is a little tangy, perfect with the crumb topping."
"This loaf is amazing. I devoted a whole blog post to it so you guys can see the steps in pictures http://www.healthylivingrevelations.com/2014/03/08/cranberry-swirl-loaf-recipe/"
"Made this cake for the first time tonight, it's AMAZING!!! Takes a long time to make, but well worth the time. I'm planning on making this bread as Christmas gifts next year. Definitely a keeper!"