- 16 slices bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ORANGE CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 orange peel strip (1/4 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread cubes, cranberries and orange peel. Repeat layers. Drizzle with butter.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla until blended; pour over bread mixture. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks and sugar. Stir in cream and orange peel. Cook over low heat about 15-20 minutes or until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly but gently. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a bowl.
- Place bowl in an ice-water bath for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in extract. Discard orange peel. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with bread pudding. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cranberry Bread Pudding
Sort By :
"Our whole family enjoyed this as a dessert. I couldn't find fresh or frozen cranberries so I used Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce. I also used low fat milk and egg beaters to make this lower in fat for family with heart disease, and less sugar for family members with diabetes. I am making it again today and if I again, if I don't find the cranberries called for, I'll use the canned again. I also didn't use the sauce. It didn't appeal to me."
"Loved this recipe! Easy to follow, and it turned out great."