- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained, or 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the chicken, seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms and wine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken with sauce over pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chicken Cacciatore
"Super easy and delicious!"
"Glad I read the reviews and added more spices to give it more flavor. It was OK, probably won't make it again."
"I tweaked the recepie a little. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast that I seasoned and browned first in some evoo. I also added green pepper and few more spices to give it more flavor. Diced tomatoes with chili peppers gave it a little kick. It was a little soupy. Next time I'll mix in a little corn starch to thicken the sauce. My family enjoyed it."
"Really good. Used boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut back cooking time to 4 hours, added garlic."
"I've made the regular Chicken Cacciatore before and I thought the crockpot one would be great. Not for me. It was tasteless, soupy and I was embarrassed that I served it to visiting family."