Contest-Winning Bavarian Meatballs Recipe
"I use my slow cooker so much—unless my husband decides to grill for me—and these mouthwatering meatballs are just one reason why," explains Peggy Rios of Mechanicsville, Virginia. "They’re a guaranteed crowd-pleaser when I serve them as party appetizers…or a yummy, filling sandwich spooned over crusty rolls and topped with cheese."—Peggy Rios, Mechanicsville, Virginia
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 12 hoagie buns, split
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the meatballs, onion, brown sugar, soup mix and beer. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until heated through.
- 2. Place six meatballs on each bun bottom. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup cheese. Place on baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace bun tops. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 643 calories, 36 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 1,302 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC