I used to make this dish with beef, but substituting with portobella mushrooms turned it into my family's vegetarian favorite. It's quick, nutritious, low fat and tasty. —Greg Fontenot, The Woodlands, Texas
Recommended: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Remove stems from mushrooms; if desired, remove gills using a spoon. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-in. slices.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms, red pepper and onion until mushrooms are tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic, seasonings, lime peel and lime juice; cook and stir 1 minute. Serve in tortillas; top with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chili-Lime Mushroom Tacos in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Chili-Lime Mushroom Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review