Chickpea 'n' Red Onion Burgers Recipe
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fat-free red wine vinaigrette
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- In a small bowl, combine onion and vinaigrette; set aside. In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, walnuts, wheat germ and parsley; cover and pulse until blended. Add the eggs, curry and pepper; cover and process until smooth.
- Shape into six patties. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until firm.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard; spread over cut sides of buns. Serve patties on buns with lettuce, basil and reserved onion mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chickpea 'n' Red Onion Burgers(1)
Sort By :
The "patties" are a bit hard to work with - more like big cookies than a solid patty - but they cooked pretty well, and held together on the bun. The walnuts add a depth to the flavor. They do turn out a bit dry, but the suggested onion topping and mustard add soem moisture to the texture. Next time, I will try making these ahead in hopes that they will solidify in the fridge before baking.
More Recipe Collections
- Burger Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Nut Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >