Chicken Penne Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked Daily Chef Penne Rigate
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, process tomatoes and tomato paste in a blender; add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Penne Casserole(27)
Sort By :
Very good receipe. Didn't have green pepper so used a whole red pepper and 6 chesse Italian blend for the mozzarella. The wife wants me to make this next week for her girls card party.
I made this today and it was very, very good! I used 2 chicken breasts and a can of Italian diced tomatoes. I didn't have the peppers so will plan better next time. We all loved this casserole and I know we will be making it again . . . real soon!
This was just ok to us.
I made this recipe for my family last night and it was a hit. I added 2tbsp of Chinese chili sauce instead of the flakes, added 7 cloves of garlic and used boneless chicken breasts. My picky children and picky hubby loved it. I served this dish with oven toasted Italian garlic bread.
This recipe is so versatile.
We prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of thighs. I use Italian Seasoning Blend instead of the individual spices for ease of preparation.
There are also many varieties of Diced Tomatoes available. Fire-Roasted are a nice change as well as using Italian Blend Shredded Cheese.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Pasta >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >