Chicken Penne Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, process tomatoes and tomato paste in a blender; add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Penne Casserole
Sort By :
"This dish was ok but nothing fantastic to us. Time consuming to put together also. Not likely to make it again."
"Made as directed. Thought it was better the next day when the flavors came through better. Was rather bland when we had it for supper the evening I made it."
"I made this dish tonight and it was delicious. I only used 2 cups of cheese and also used jarred spaghetti sauce instead of processing tomatoes and paste. Turned out great. I also added my own seasonings on top of what's called for in the recipe to give it a lil more spice."
"Made this tonight,was very good,I used chicken breast also,I also doubled the sauce cause it didn't seem like it would be enough,glad I did it came out awesome!"
"Good but was time consuming."