Chicken Penne Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, process tomatoes and tomato paste in a blender; add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Penne Casserole
Sort By :
Great dish! I used chicken breast instead of thighs because that is what was in my kitchen. My family enjoyed it so I will be making it again.
This was absolutely delicious--I made it exactly according to the recipe and it turned out perfectly. I was thinking of adding some spinach or eggplant for a little extra color but I'm glad I didn't. Will be making and sharing this recipe often!
Oh my.... This is an excellent recipe. Easy to make and no left overs! Thank you for sharing.
Amazing recipe, except I use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs and I left off the crushed red pepper flakes due to my Crohn's disease. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
What an amazing dish!! Follow the recipe exact and you won't be disappointed. Oh my gosh, is this good.......oh, and I just used chicken breast cubed as that is what I had on hand. Will try it with thighs next.....bet that will be even more incredible, as flavorful as thighs are!