- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon each salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk, divided
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1-3/4 cups flour, baking powder and seasonings. In another shallow bowl, combine egg and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Dip each cubed steak in buttermilk mixture, then roll in flour mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil on medium-high. Fry steaks for 5-7 minutes. Turn carefully; cook 5 minutes longer or until coating is crisp and meat is no longer pink. Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings; stir remaining flour into drippings until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and remaining buttermilk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steaks. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups gravy).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chicken-Fried Steaks
Sort By :
"I didn't use the full amount of flour and seasonings for the portion I was preparing . It is a very nice seasoned flavor, and the gravy was delicious."
"We loved this! At first we found it a bit bland but I made a few adjustments - the 3/4tsp of all the seasonings was increased to 1tsp each and we added 1tsp of each seasoning to the egg wash as well as the gravy. We also only used only enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan versus the 1/2c listed. This worked out great for frying. When it came time to make the gravy - we used 1% milk, added approximately 1/4c of butter (may need a little more depending on how you like your gravy) and the seasonings as referenced above."
"I wish I was better at cooking chicken fried steak. This would be good but way too greasy. I just haven't mastered the frying part."
"I've tried several different chicken fried steak recipes and this is the only one my wife will eat. It has a great flavor of seasonings!"
"Very easy and the whole family loved it."