This family-friendly recipe offers a new take on classic enchiladas. If you like yours with a little extra “oomph,” sprinkle some seeded, fresh chopped jalapenos and cilantro on top. —Amy Johnson, New Braunfels, Texas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat Monterey Jack or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, green chilies and onion mixture.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and coriander. Add broth; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir 3/4 cup sauce into chicken mixture.
- Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Enchilada Casserole in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p37
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review