Makeover Chicken Enchilada Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken base
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup pico de gallo
- 6 tablespoons shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Cut each tortilla lengthwise into thirds; cut each widthwise into 1/4-in. strips. Place strips and oil in a resealable plastic bag; shake to coat. Combine chili powder, salt and cayenne. Add to bag; shake to coat.
- Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Remove to paper towels to cool; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 4 cups water, chicken base, chili powder, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Whisk masa harina and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in process cheese until melted. Add chicken; heat through. Ladle into bowls. Top with pico de gallo, shredded cheese and tortilla strips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 266 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Oct 10, 2016
The flavor was there, but I used all chicken stock and no water. I also cooked the chicken in the soup and added a bag of Baja Roasted Corn Blend (buy it from Sam's). Didn't use Velveeta. I used 8 oz. finely shredded Colby Jack cheese. These really took this over the top!!!
Jan 17, 2015
Great flavor! I was worried about it being thin, but after adding Cheese, tortilla strips tq sour cream , It wasn't.
Aug 29, 2014
My mom and I go to Chili's on a regular basis just for their chicken enchilada soup. This was almost spot on. It was awesome! I did use all chicken broth instead of water and added rotel tomatoes and black beans for my husband and he and my boys loved it too. It's definitely a keeper!
Aug 4, 2014
This is the best enchilada soup ever!!!! I have made it numerous times. Stepson coming home on leave and wants this first thing!!!
Jan 16, 2013
I used chicken broth in place of water and cooked my chicken in it. It has a unique texture.
Jan 6, 2013
This was delicious. I used cheddar cheese instead of the Velveeta, full sodium broth and added a chopped red pepper and 1/2 c or so of frozen corn, and left out the tortilla strips. My husband and 4 year old both ate seconds.
Oct 18, 2012
Pretty good! It could use a few more vegetables. I throw in a chopped up bell pepper, celery, or corn to further it along.
Oct 4, 2012
This soup got rave reviews. Three people claimed it was the best soup they have ever eaten. I made it exactly as the recipe calls but doubled the recipe.
Aug 21, 2012
This is very good. It could definitely use some more veggies, and the pico de gallo really makes it. I didn't bother with the seasoned tortilla strips, either.
Aug 20, 2012
LOVE LOVE this soup! Reminds me of Max & Erma's Tortilla Soup....made it exactly like the recipe says except doubled :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.