- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and salt; stir well. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat 2 cups of mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; cover with rhubarb. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water; cook until mixture is thickened and clear. Stir in extract and cherry filling; spoon over rhubarb. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over cherries. Bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Rhubarb Crunch
Sort By :
This is an easy recipe that is so good! Our family of boys love this dessert! As a TOH field editor, I try a lot of summertime dessert recipes and this is definitely a keeper!!!
The best recipe ever and have been making it for years! Since I'm a single household, I use 10 oz baking dishes (I use vintage Pyrex #700 or use the modern made dishes) to create individual desserts. I skip the bottom crust by spreading approximately 1 cup of the cherry rhubarb mixture into dish, then sprinkling approximately 1/2 cup of crumble mixture on top. I wrap dishes in plastic wrap, slide into zip bags and freeze. When ready to bake, set dish in a foil pie pan, bake for 50-55 minutes. I also use chopped slivered almonds in place of walnuts.
Very good..had requests to make over and over! Could cut back on sugar as it is rather sweet.