This recipe—along with a bundle of rhubarb—was given to me by my husband's grandmother when we were first married. I had never cared for rhubarb, but after trying this dessert, I changed my mind. Now my children dig in, too!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and salt; stir well. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat 2 cups of mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; cover with rhubarb. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water; cook until mixture is thickened and clear. Stir in extract and cherry filling; spoon over rhubarb. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over cherries. Bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Rhubarb Crunch in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p34
Reviews for Cherry Rhubarb Crunch
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review