- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and seasonings. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, onion mixture and bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Casserole with Bacon
"Made this for Mother's Day brunch. Everyone loved it, even my brothers' picky family. I usually leave out the dill. Really, really good and so easy."
"I always make this when I have brunch and it is always gobbled up. Feel free to any of your vegetables you have - - a good, verisitable egg casserole."
"I make this for Christmas morning every year for those of us that does not care for chocolate gravy and it's alway's a hit!"
"I have made something similar to this but used Tex Mex cheese and seasoning salt for more flavor! It was such a hit in our house!"
"I make mine with jimmy dean sausage and add velvetta shreds to the mix. I am not sure about the dill, pretty much whatever you would put in an omelet you can make this casserole with. I also have cooked it over night in the crockpot on low..."
"It was ok, I tried to cut the recipe in 1/2, felt it was a little dry, next time I will also add more cheese for flavor"
"Made for Christmas morning and we were very disappointed. There was very little flavor except for the dill which just does not go well with eggs..yuck! Hash browns were limp & tasteless.. Would have been better just to make scrambled eggs with crispy hash browns instead. I don't understand the positive ratings for this dish."
"I just made this for the first time. LOVE it. This recipe is definitely a keeper. I made it exactly as the recipe stated....did not alter a thing even though I was a little concerned about putting dill weed in it. Love the green pepper/onion taste in the dish and the added texture that the hash browns add to it. I personally highly recommend this dish."
"Awesome and super easy to make. Even made it the night before so in the morning I just had to put it in the oven and it was still great."
"I made this today and it is awesome. I did tweek it a bit after reading some of the reviews. I added fresh bella mushrooms and some fresh spinach to the onions and peppers. I tossed the hashbrowns in some season salt to counter the blandness of the potatoes. I also used a casserole blend shredded cheese and increased the amount because we love cheese. This is going to be added to our Christmas Eve brunch this year. Very, very yummy!"