Cheesy Ham Chowder Recipe
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder(55)
Sort By :
Absolutely delish! Wonderful cheesy ham flavor. Creamy and soothing to the palate. A sure keeper that I will make consistently!
I didn't change a thing and it was delicious! Perfect for fall and winter.
Absolutely delicious and so hearty and comforting on one of these first really cold days of late fall. I added more corn and potatoes than it called for and it got a big thumbs up from my husband who is a big guy and loves rib-sticking comfort food!
Made this the other night and the family LOVED it. My husband and 2 sons worked outside all day (freezing out that day) so they were happy to come home to hot chowder. I did shred my own cheese like some recommended. Made homemade dinner rolls to go with it. The only thing I will change next time.....is to make a double batch. Thanks Jennifer for a great recipe.
This is fantastic and simple to put together! It is in my menu planner so I can access it whenever the mood strikes!