- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham Chowder
"OMG, I have made this soup 3 weeks in a row & my family want it again tomorrow for Sunday diner! Since we are all dieting, I put in zucchini instead of potatoes Even my little grandchildren love this!"
"I thought it was amazing and full of flavor. Probably my favorite chowder recipe to make."
"this chowder is fantastic - thick and creamy and just plain yummy. I used 2% milk and it worked just fine - also, being a ham fanatic, added a bit more ham. Just love this, as did my husband, the chef in our house!"
"I made this tonight with leftover ham from Easter . My husband loved the sweetness of the corn and the saltiness of the ham. I cut this recipe in half and used skim milk. It turned out great. Goes well with homemade corn bread."
"We really enjoyed this recipe, however, it is very high in sodium. Will probably make it again, but not on a regular basis."