- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup of meat sauce in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Drain pasta; place half over sauce. Top with half of the remaining meat sauce; spread with sour cream. Top with process cheese and remaining pasta and meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Freeze individual portions of cooled pasta mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little spaghetti sauce if necessary. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Beef Spirals
"Pretty good, my daughter loves it."
"This recipe was so good! I used Large shell pasta and added red pepper flakes for a little spice. I will be making this again."
"I made a few modifications to this recipe. I used only 1 pound of beef- 2 pounds sounded like too much! I left out the mushrooms and didn't use the Velveeta. I used 2 cups of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of Parmesan. I didn't layer it either. Not only is it quicker to just mix everything together, it lets the flavors blend. I then topped it with the cheeses. It was delicious- will make again. The sour cream adds a nice addition- makes it creamy."
"My husband and I loved it."
"My family LOVES this and asks for it very often!"
"I made a few substitutions. I left out the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. I also doubled the sour cream. I also combined all the ingredients together rather than layering. I would definitely make this again. Very tasty and easy to make."
"Cheese Galore - yum! I used minced onions and garlic powder in meat sauce, no mushrooms (not a fan), also used 1 c. sour cream and 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, can't wait for leftovers tonight!"
"I made a few changes to this recipe. I doubled the sauce and sour cream. Rather than layering so much I just did one layer of pasta, sour cream, velveeta, sauce, and lastly the mozzarella. It turned out great this way. This recipe makes a large dish and is very filling, which is great becuase my boys eat A LOT! A keeper recipe!"
"This is AMAZING... I just used ingredients i had around the house. Since my spaghetti sauce had mushrooms in it, i did not add more. i did not use velveeta cheese, just regular pasteurized cheese. and i did not have any sour cream in the house so that was absent. but other than that it was AMAZING!!! also it is great between hamburger buns!"
"just use gluten free noodles and this is a gluten free recipe."