- 4 large ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 frozen pie shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, sugar, cornstarch and salt; toss gently to coat. Pour into pie shell.
- For topping, combine the cheese, flour, sugar and salt; stir in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 425° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cool on a wire rack for 15-20. Serve warm. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Pear Pie
"If you love pears you will defiantly love this pie. To prevent soggy crust brush the bottom of your crust with a beaten egg before adding filling. I also used flour instead of cornstarch (2 Tbsp. ) I would most likely make again but with less sugar, I found it quite sweet. I also think making this recipe with apples would be a great change up. Very Good! Thx! Cynthia"
"I love this pie, have made it with and without cheese, sooo good, amd much better than apple pie, imo."
"make it every year when the pears are ripe on our trees"
"I loved it! Good use of pears that need to be eaten up. The cheese topping was what really made it for me."
"I have been making this recipe for years. We have a pear tree in our yard and my family looks forward to this pie every year!"