I often freeze this soup and thaw it for a fast easy meal. Since it's hearty, all I need to add are rolls or bread and a salad. —Ann Heine, Mission Hill, South Dakota
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from the heat; do not drain.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir into the undrained vegetables; return large saucepan to the heat. Add corn and ham; heat through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Cheddar Ham Chowder in Country Woman March/April 1994, p33
Reviews for Cheddar Ham Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review