- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
"OMGosh!!! Just made this recipe for the first time and it is to die for! I did as some other reviewers stated by adding in some onion, garlic, and red pepper. I didn't have any celery, so instead, used some dry celery flakes. I subbed 2 cups of Almond milk for the 2% (for those of us who are lactose intolerant) and added in some hot pepper flakes. This is a keeper for sure and will be trying it with broccoli next time. I think some bacon bits would be good in it as well. Thanks for a WONDERFUL recipe!!!"
"Not a fan. Too salty and the gravy overpowered the taste of the veggies. I wish I had found another cauliflower recipe. :("
"This will be my staple. Absolutely delicious. I live cauliflower soup. This is my favorite."
"Best soup ever! I added chopped onion, minced garlic and diced red bell pepper. SO GOOD!"
"Loved this so did my family. I didn't have any carrots so I grated parsnips. Also I added fresh grated and chopped ginger."
"I don't have vegetable bullion. How much vegetable broth should I use?"
"this is likely one of the easiest, tastiest soup...definitely on my to make list again. I was surprised that it tasted as good as it did at first taste and didn't need to sit to gel the flavours."
"This was probably the best soup that I've ever made. I followed the recipe and added the hot sauce. I used an emulsion blender on the cooked vegetables before adding the cheese sauce. I also added a few croutons and fresh cracked pepper to each bowl......absolutely delicious."
"I have made this soup twice now. Love the flavours! I do find that it is a bit thin for a creamy soup. I tried pureeing some of the cauliflower and adding it back in, but I think next time I make it I will try reducing the amount of water used to cook the vegetables. Overall a yummy soup recipe!"
"I made this soup last week for the first time because I had leftover cauliflower that I needed to use up. It was so quick & easy to make so I wasn't expecting the taste to be so great. It was really good though. This will now be my go-to Cauliflower Soup."