- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- In the same pan, cook onions in butter and 3/4 teaspoon sugar over medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots, bacon, broth, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Uncover; return to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard bay leaf. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Carrots and Pearl Onions
Sort By :
Although I haven't tried this recipe yet, I can almost taste it and I'm thinking it may be like the wonderful flavor of carrots from a delicious pot roast. I'll try it with the chicken broth first and then with beef broth. Maybe some fingerling potatoes added with more of the liquid.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >