- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 3 small tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 teaspoons drippings. In the same skillet, cook pork chops in 2 teaspoons reserved drippings over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm.
- Saute apples and onion in 1 teaspoon reserved drippings in the same skillet until apples are crisp-tender. Stir in the brown sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon and pepper. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add pork chops. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145°.
- Remove chops to serving platter; let stand for 5 minutes. Add spinach to skillet and cook until wilted. Serve with chops. Sprinkle with bacon and walnuts. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Caramel-Apple Pork Chops
Sort By :
This is very good. Hubby loved it too. However, next time I make it I will tweak it a bit. I found the pork chops to be a bit dry. After cooking bacon, I would skip cooking the pork chops and go directly to cooking the apples and onions. Then add all other ingredients as stated in recipe then while that is simmering, I would use Pork Tenderloin Medallions cut into 1/4 thickness, salt and pepper them first then lightly flour them, and saute in a separate non-stick skillet in a little butter and olive oil until golden brown and serve separate from apples and onions mixture. Also I would cut apples to two, cut broth in half, and cut brown sugar in half. I think these changes will make me give it five stars!
Also, I used half Kale and half Baby Spinich, yum!
Smelled great and my kids loved it! I halved the sugar, and it was still very sweet, and so more healthy! Loved the combo of apples, oignons and bacon. I didnt add the spinach nor nuts! Just had to go with what I had on hand but still tasted great!
This was not our families favorite recipe. The kitchen smelled really good while cooking but we thought chops were tough and bland. I used one bag of spinach. It took longer than the 35 minutes suggested in the recipe to make. Leftovers still sitting in the fridge. I'll pass on making this one again.
We loved this! We don't like spinach so I subbed in 2 cups of frozen green beans for the spinach. Unbelievably good.
This is a new favorite in my house! My kids can be very picky, but they came into the kitchen telling me how good it smelled and then ate every bit without complaint. I halved the recipe for just me and my kids and used apple juice instead of chicken broth. I also omitted the onion and nuts (personal preference) and just chopped up the spinach and added it during the last minute of cooking time. My kids will eat spinach all day if it's chopped up in their food! All in all, this recipe is going to get a lot of use in my house!