- 1 large head cabbage, shredded (about 12 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook cabbage in boiling water until tender; drain thoroughly. In a large skillet, saute onion in 5 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in soup. Add cheese; stir until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Cook and stir crumbs in butter until lightly browned; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Casserole
Sort By :
"This is great - even those who think they don't like cabbage will eat this. Made it as a side dish for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. It is now a regular on the table. It would also be good with bacon or ham in it."
"I made this recipe years ago, and also used sharp cheddar instead of the Velveeta. I remember feeling a little self conscious because it seems it was kind of stinky because of the cabbage (the way cabbage can be)...especially when opening the refrigerator (where the leftovers were) the next day. However, no one seemed to mind, because everyone, even my young children absolutely loved it. I just still laugh about my fear of stinkiness. I shall go forth and fear no more. I'm going to make this for Christmas this year! Glad I found the recipe again. Yummy! A cabbage lovers delight."
"This was so cheesy and sooo good. I found this recipe back in the 90's and I make it on holidays so I can keep it special!"
"Way too cheesy!! I could not even tell that there was cabbage in the dish. That could be considered good if you don't like cabbage, but I do. Will try again and cut the cheese in half."
"Very tasty and easy to make...I am not overly fond of cooked cabbage, but I liked this."