Even those who don't care for cabbage will enjoy it make this way. This tangy, creamy, comforting side dish goes exceptionally well with pork roast. —Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded (about 12 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook cabbage in boiling water until tender; drain thoroughly. In a large skillet, saute onion in 5 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in soup. Add cheese; stir until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Cook and stir crumbs in butter until lightly browned; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cabbage Casserole Vegetable in Taste of Home December/January 1994, p37
Reviews for Cabbage Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review