- 8 uncooked Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 brat buns, split
- Place the bratwurst in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, apples, bacon, brown sugar, onion and mustard; spoon over bratwurst.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°.
- Place brats in buns; using a slotted spoon, top with sauerkraut mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Protea Chenin Blanc South Africa 2011. Honeysuckle and pear, with a hint of lemon, makes this perfect with any fish or chicken dish. Buy now and get 2 bottles for $29.99. Order Now
Reviews for Brats with Sauerkraut
Sort By :
This was my first time trying this recipe and it's good. My husband enjoyed and it's a recipe we can make it again.. The only thing we notice is the sauerkraut was very dark in color after it was done nothing like the pic of recipe showing, why is that?
I'm making this today. I'm a little afraid that there's no liquid in it but I'm going with the recipe anyways but I did double up on the sugar cause I like it sweet so I'll let you know.I'm only giving it three stars cause I haven't tried it yet but it's super simple to make.
We did not like this. Not sure if I did something wrong but none of us liked. Sorry
I make this once a week. My family loves it! I use 10 brats, and I add a half of cabbage quartered. Delicious!
This was delicious! I followed the recipe except used a jumbo onion and a little more brown sugar. Will make again for sure!