I've made many variations of this excellent main dish. The bratwurst can be plain, smoked or cheese-flavored, served whole or cut in slices, with a bun or without. It would be popular at a party or potluck.
- 8 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 brat buns, split
- Place the bratwurst in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, apples, bacon, brown sugar, onion and mustard; spoon over bratwurst.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°.
- Place brats in buns; using a slotted spoon, top with sauerkraut mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Brats with Sauerkraut in Country Woman January/February 2006, p45
Reviews for Brats with Sauerkraut
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review