- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 6 lettuce leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat waffle maker. Whisk together first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of batter in the center of each waffle iron quadrant; bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Spread mayonnaise evenly over half of the waffle pieces; top with bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, seasonings and remaining waffle pieces to make sliders. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cornmeal Waffle Sandwiches in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p12
Reviews for BLT Waffle Sliders
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 6, 2010
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2010
"Fantastic, easy, and a wonderful change of pace. You won't be disappointed."