BLT Salad with Croutons Recipe
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 to 5 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon and drippings aside.
- In another large skillet, melt butter. Add bread cubes; cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove to paper towels; cool.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, basil, vinegar, pepper, garlic and reserved drippings. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for BLT Salad with Croutons
Sort By :
Everyone loved this salad! I did not add the basil as I wanted a simple BLT flavor but I will probably try it with basil next time. This will be a go-to recipe.
This is so delicious and easy to prepare.
Guest were crazy about it.
Wonderful salad! Great for when you want something other than the bagged stuff!
This was delicious. I made the croutons in the leftover bacon grease instead of butter and used apple cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar (it's what I had on hand).
Have been making this salad for 3 years.. everyone in the family loves it even my picky eater. The homemade croutons are to die for.