Best Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 to 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss lightly with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Spoon rhubarb into pie shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, cornstarch and nutmeg. Pour over rhubarb. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Best Rhubarb Pie
Sort By :
I agree with the rater below. I have made this recipe twice following it EXACTLY and I threw the runny, gloppy mess OUT BOTH TIMES!!
I made this today and it took almost 90 minutes to make and it was still yokey in the middle...Very bad recipes. Oh... and I had used the last of my rhubarb on this.....
The crust was great but the filling was full of water or juice from the rhubarb. I cooked it for 45 minutes and the crust was done. Is there a part of this recipe that is missing? Help!!!!
This was EXCELLENT. I added a crust on top though.
Wow, this was so good! So easy to make and tasted amazing. It is definately something i'll make again!