- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 to 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss lightly with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Spoon rhubarb into pie shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, cornstarch and nutmeg. Pour over rhubarb. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Best Rhubarb Pie
Sort By :
"I love the recipe!!! I've made about 10 of these pies for my family and friends love it! Oh and to the ones that say the pie is runny after you take it out of the oven...it needs at least a 1/2 hour to set and get thick!! Once its thick...don't blink because it'll be gone before you know it!! Hahaha!"
"I agree with the rater below. I have made this recipe twice following it EXACTLY and I threw the runny, gloppy mess OUT BOTH TIMES!!"
"I made this today and it took almost 90 minutes to make and it was still yokey in the middle...Very bad recipes. Oh... and I had used the last of my rhubarb on this....."
"The crust was great but the filling was full of water or juice from the rhubarb. I cooked it for 45 minutes and the crust was done. Is there a part of this recipe that is missing? Help!!!!"
"This was EXCELLENT. I added a crust on top though."