Dar’s Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, coconut milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch and salt until blended. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 2 minutes longer, whisking vigorously. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Immediately transfer to crust.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 641 calories, 47g fat (33g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
May 17, 2018
Made this yesterday and it was a hit! People keep asking for more!
Dec 17, 2017
This was awesome. My husband does not care for coconut BUT loves this.
Dec 14, 2017
Delicious! I'm not a baker so I didn't make the pastry; I substituted a store bought crust. The coconut milk adds so much flavor to this pie!
Aug 15, 2017
Jan 28, 2017
This was my first time making a coconut cream pie, and my family loved it. It was easy to make. I did not change a thing. I will definitely make this again.
Nov 24, 2016
Delicious! The recipe didn't say sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk but I used sweetened and it was perfect. Forgot to toast the coconut before I mixed it in but was still great. I'll definitely make this again! Oops and just realized I was supposed to use 4 egg yolks and only used 3. Didn't seem to make a difference.
Aug 29, 2016
I have made this pie twice now. The family loves it, and it is a new "keeper". Just sweet enough without being overdone.
May 20, 2016
I have made this wonderfully sweet, coconutty pie twice and both times it was perfect. It is not eggy tasting, only creamy and sweet and well, coconutty! It calls for 2 cups coconut milk, and the cans I found were only 13.5 ounces, so I only used one can of coconut milk and the consistency came out fine. I will make this recipe again!
Nov 11, 2015
This is the only coconut pie recipe EVERYONEloves
May 26, 2015
Wow this was amazing
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.