Best-Ever Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, torn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, thyme or sage, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and bread; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a 7-1/2-in. x 3-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. loaf in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; spoon half of the mixture over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°, occasionally spooning remaining topping over loaf. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Best-Ever Meat Loaf(10)
Sort By :
BEST meatloaf we've ever had
This really was the best meatloaf I ever made. My husband agreed.
I have made this meat-loaf so many times, always make 2, one for us and one to give or freeze. I pass on the 'optional seasonings' and substitute ketchup and use swiss cheese, Glad it's still on the web-site, because I wore out the original copy. This is soooo good, and all men love meat loaf. Well, all men I know. I've been to your cooking school, highly recommended!
I love this recipe and so does my family. For 20 years I made the same recipe until I found this one and now this is the only one I make. The sauce is yummy! Love it! Thanks!!!
Great recipe! Everyone loves it.